16. How to upgrade the IP location database
BalanceNG V5 includes the latest DB1-LITE database which is being updated
and made available every month from ip2location.com.
If you wish or need to update this database by yourself please follow these steps:
- Register at
- Download the DB1-LITE IP-COUNTRY IPv6 database, CSV format
- Copy or move the file IP2LOCATION-LITE-DB1.IPV6.CSV to /opt/BalanceNG
- The BalanceNG command “ipdb” (with no arguments) will then load (or reload) the database from this default location. If you like to have this file somewhere else instead, you just need to specify the absolute path at the ipdb command (e.g. ipdb /tmp/IP2LOCATION-LITE-DB1.IPV6.CSV).
For a BalanceNG VRRP cluster we recommend to install any new or changed database on the current backup node first, and then on the other node after initiating a failover.
Here’s a summary of these steps:
- Install both IP database files on the current backup node.
- Restart the backup with “bng restart”.
- Initiate a failover by executing “bng stop” on the current master node.
- Install both IP database files on the now stopped previous master.
- Start this node with “bng start”.